We’re talking about primary health care in Alberta
IMAGINE is working with Albertans to conduct a province-wide conversation aimed at improving our primary health care system.
IMAGINE recruited 25 members of the general public to be part of an important conversation. Through a multi-step dialogue process, we are bringing together these Albertans from across the province to learn about, analyze and make recommendations about how health care is delivered in our communities.
We will listen to and reflect on participants’ experiences with our health care system. We will ask them about the flow, the connections, the organization and the relationships along their primary health care journey.
This is an opportunity to bring our voices to Alberta Health and to inform future primary health care policy decisions.
What will we be talking about?
We will talk about primary health care – the services in your community that support the day-to-day health needs of Albertans.
Primary health care may include:
- A visit to your family doctor
- A consultation from a nurse practitioner
- Advice from a pharmacist
- An appointment with a dietitian or therapist
More specifically, we will look for ideas and input on two approaches to help promote the continuity of primary health care:
- Health Home: A “home base” within the health care system. This is where an individual
- Can access comprehensive primary health care services from a team.
- Be connected to the other health and social services they need.
- Have their health care journey coordinated and managed.
- Attachment: Continuous, long-term relationships between an individual and a primary health care provider or team. This kind of relationship will help ensure that
- Albertans receive appropriate care to meet their needs.
- Providers know their patients’ histories, which means people won’t have to tell their story as many times or undergo duplicate tests.
This engagement project will be carried out from June to October 2017 and a report with the results of engagement will be provided to Alberta Health.
Contact Project Coordinator Anna Brassard at email@example.com or 403-289-5472 if you have any questions about the project.